This is the "project blog" page for those who are interested in some hands on work! We'll be posting upcoming projects and work days. Interested in certain things? Let us know! Have special skills and useful equipment? PLEASE let us know!
|You'll more than likely run into one of our more tireless volunteers here at the Great Swamp. Charlotte has been responsible for making our garden areas look like they belong at the White House. Stop by and say hello to her and, if you're interested, please come by, sign up as a volunteer she'd love your help.
|The garden area around our main building was a showcase all summer long with our flowering perennials. Stop out and you'll undoubtedly see some of our recently released bobwhite quail under the bird feeders.
volunteered their time and efforts at the Great Swamp Conservancy Nature Center in Canastota. Mike Patane, the Center's director said "With the students help, in one afternoon we accomplished what would surely have taken us weeks to do on our own. On behalf of the board of directors and myself our heartfelt thanks goes out to Morrisville College and the students for all their efforts. It's obvious that Morrisville College is growing very responsible and personable students." All the students that volunteered are preparing to be Resident Assistants at the college.
* We have a grant to make 5 new kiosk signs for each property
* Like to paint?
* The main building has lost some of it's luster! We plan on repainting the trim and staining the building . . . Have not decided on the date. Now accepting donations towards supplies.
* Cut New Trails through the woods
* On the property across the street from the main facility, We have a good number of small trees to clear and paths to be made.
* We will have to make trail markers to let visitors clearly follow the trails based on features and difficulty
* We would like to see this started as soon as possible
* Lot of area to cover, so if you have an ATV, small trailer, or small loader to help ours, that would help out a lot!
* Tools We Will be Utilizing:
* Chainsaw, Shears, Handsaw, Jig-saw, standard hand tools
* Creek Crossing
* Bridge constructed ahead of schedule and available for crossing
* Posted Signs and Perimeter Marking
* Along with all the trail work to be done on this property, We need to clearly mark the boundaries for our members, and for our non-members who would rather use it for their own recreation
* We have started to post the property where we have been having problems, but we need to see the entire parcel marked.
* The boardwalk has finally been repaired and is ready for hiking!
The Great Swamp Conservancy, Inc. 8375 North Main Street Canastota, NY 13032 Phone 315 697-2950
www.greatswampconservancy.org e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org